Thursday, March 29, 2012

bad case of the Mondays!

What a crazy month my sweet boy has had for sickness! As you know, he had a double ear infection, sinus infection, and a break out due to his allergy to his antibiotics! Well, Sunday about 12:30 am, which I guess means it was actually Monday, he woke up screaming! I ran in and checked on him only to find him doubled over in extreme pain. I held him and gave him some medicine and tried to get him calmed down. I finally got him calmed down, went back up to my bed for about 15 mins when I heard more screaming! This time, he was on the floor doubled over and and screaming! He begged me to put him in the shower, so I did even though it was the wee hours of the morning. I got him calmed down again and put him back to sleep, only to have this happen every 15-20 min! By morning, I was a zombie, he had these huge dark circles under his eyes, and I knew we had to get him to the Dr. since he was still in extreme pain! My husband, graciously called into work late, and drove him straight to the Dr! There he was diagnosed saying he had a viral stomach bug and sent home. The hubs was told he had to come in to work, which left me with the littles and still doing my best to care for my sweet boy! I was running on fumes by this point! I couldn't leave his side because the pain just kept coming more and more! After hours of doing this, I thought to myself, "I am his Mommy! I know him better than any of those doctors, and something is wrong with him!" I called the Dr and they thought they said go immediately to Children's Mercy. My mom over to drive us, since I was in no way able to do that after no sleep! My bro-in-law came to sit with the kids until my bestie could get there! My hubs was at work and stuck in traffic trying to get there as fast as he could. We arrived and only had to wait around 5 minutes (that felt like a lifetime) before we were taken to triage. When we were in triage, he got another severe attack of pain! I could barely hold him still while they were trying to get his temp and vitals. I had been able to hold it together all day until that moment. Here I am holding my baby who is in extreme pain and I can't fix it! The tear just started streaming down my face as I am trying to hold him still. In my head, I am having this conversation with the Lord. I kept saying, "Lord, this is ultimately your child, and I don't know what to do! Please, please, please help him and help me to get through this, I am nothing without you! I can't do this alone, and we need you!" Then, He told me Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." It's a verse I have heard all my life, but at this moment He knew it was exactly what I needed! I needed to trust the Lord and forget everything else! Forget the worry, the unknowns, etc! From triage, they took us immediately back after telling me, they have never seen a child in this much pain before! A room of doctors and several nurses were waiting for us. After MANY hours and MANY tests, they told us they found something. The Dr came in and told my husband and I that they found something on his ultrasound. He explained he has a condition called kidney hydronephrosis. The Dr also said that he he thinks he has reflux meaning at times the urine is going back in his body instead of out. He isn't sure if this is linked to the pain that he was having, but he urged us to follow up with our regular Dr. ASAP. We got home at 11:30pm, ate some dinner, and went to bed after being up for almost 24 hrs. Morning came too fast, but I called our Dr right away. He had already received all the info from Children's and had already looked at it all. He too, could see the problem with his kidney and told me that he wanted to personally call the specialist at Mercy. He explained that there is a risk of having surgery to place a stint, but he needed to talk to the specialist for a 2nd opinion.

So now all we can do it wait, wait, and wait some more. While I have been waiting, I have been praying and digging in His Word! I don't know what is going to happen, but I know I can rest assured that the Lord does. I know He will take care of us in this time and give the doctors the wisdom in how to proceed.

It has been a VERY long week, but everytime I see my son wanting to play it brings me great joy! Through this, I have learned to cherish your kids health! Cherish that they can run and play outside. I know for me there have been times when I have been too tired to take them outside, but now I feel totally different! We never know how long we have with them, so cherish those moments together! Please continue to pray for our sweet boy and our family! I will update as soon as we know anything else!



We had the best nurse while we were at the hospital! She rounded up a Nintendo Dsi XL, with games for him to play. It really helped distract him! So, thank you Misty!

No comments:

Post a Comment