Monday, September 27, 2010

Black Bean Soup


Ok, after a month off I think it's time to get back to my blogging. After my husband posted that sweet post about my triathlon, I think he's even hooked. You may be seeing more posts from him in the future...

My sister, who lives in Guatamela, is looking for some new receipes. I think we can all relate to getting in a "rut" so to speak when it comes to cooking. I wanted to share this receipe with her, and then I thought I should share it will all of you. I found this receipe in one of my Biggest Loser cookbooks. Usually I wouldn't be too excited about a receipe with no meat in it. I was hesistant because I thought we won't get full, and I wasn't so sure my children would like it. When Ted was laid off this was a go to meal a lot because it's so inexpensive to make and YES, you will be satisfied! My children even like it!

1 TBS olive oil
1 lrg chopped onion
1 TBS chopped garlic
28oz can fire roasted tomato (I have used rotel in its place before)
1 TSP cummin
1 TSP chili powder
1 TSP red chili flakes (optional)
3 (15 oz) cans of black beans (you can also use kidney beans, white beans, or chick peas) or 4.5 cups of cooked beans
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
OPTIONAL: 3 cups fresh choppen spinach
Combine in large pot and simmer for 1 hour.

We top ours with some low fat mozz cheese!

It's so yummy! I hope this helps you Sara Beth! Check out her blog here http://fragrantaromaofchrist.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment